This time of year is filled with hot chocolate, Christmas songs, and trips to see family members. And after a holiday trip, the last thing you want to do is come home to find a broken glass and valuables missing. Take steps to secure your home for when you’re gone.
- Although it’s very tempting to share your travel plans with your friends, try to avoid doing so on social media networks. Thieves can easily see who is home and who is away, making you all the more vulnerable.
- Ask a friend or neighbor to keep an eye on you residency. They can help spot unusual activity, and, if necessary, call the police.
- Leave exterior lights on. This helps it look like the house is occupied.
- Unplug appliances you will not use during your trip. This will save you money and reduce the risk of electrical fires.
- Double check that all doors and windows are locked.
Stay safe and happy travels.